Members of the International Coalition of Sites of Conscience gain access to a wide range of benefits designed to help institutions develop programs, connect with one another, and promote the Sites of Conscience movement.
These benefits include, among others:
- Eligibility to apply for grants of up to $10,000 to support innovative new Sites of Conscience programs and peer exchanges through our Project Support Fund.
Training and Program Support
- Eligibility to participate in Sites of Conscience workshops, conferences, and exchanges. These opportunities provide valuable insights into techniques and activities vital to sustaining Sites of Conscience programs, including facilitated dialogue, documentation, memorialization, digital mapping, and body-mapping, among others.
- Eligibility to receive reduced cost trainings in facilitated dialogue – an intentional, structured process that allows visitors to interact with site content and with one another in profound new ways. Trainings are also available to help your organization evaluate its impact, devise a strategic plan, and more effectively activate the power of the past for your visitors.
- Access and ability to contribute to our open-access Resource Center, an online hub for Sites of Conscience methodology tools such as program models, publications, educational resources, and evaluation guides that is widely promoted to organizations around the globe.
- Ability to participate in our monthly webinar series, Conscience Matters, which brings together members, Coalition staff, and special guests to probe pressing issues facing Sites of Conscience today and showcase innovative and effective strategies to help members energize their audiences and play a leading role in our global movement for memory. These sessions offer an opportunity for Coalition members to learn more about each other’s work and engage in cross-border, peer-to-peer learning on particularly effective programs that encourage civic engagement and action.
Networking and Collaboration
- Eligibility to join one or more of our Regional Networks, which bring together Sites of Conscience within and across regions in order to more effectively remember common histories and address their legacies today.
- Eligibility to develop and join a broad range of collaboration-based Special Projects, such as Strengthening Museums to Foster Resilience, Lilliput Plus Project, From Brown v. Board to Ferguson: Fostering Dialogue on Education, Incarceration, and Civil Rights, and Digital Mapping and Documentation in the Middle East and North Africa,
- Eligibility to apply for Peer Exchange Grants, a subset of grants offered through our Project Support Fund with the goal of supporting collaboration with peers at other Sites of Conscience.
- Use of the tag “Member of the International Coalition of Sites of Conscience” and the Coalition logo on member websites.
- Use of the Coalition’s name and logo in programs and advocacy campaigns supported by the Coalition. (Members must contact the Coalition for guidelines prior to developing advocacy campaign materials.)
- Online promotion through the Coalition’s website and social media outlets, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Newsletters.
The Coalition advocates for every community’s right to protect sites where struggles for justice and democracy have taken place and to use those places to foster creative programs designed to address urgent human rights issues today.
Our dedicated advocacy efforts are as bold and innovative as our network. When needed, we send members of our network – be they staff, members of the Coalition’s Board or fellow member sites – to a site to speak on behalf of a specific issue the member may be confronting. These visits typically include print and online media campaigns to bring local and international attention to the site. We have also supported members when their livelihood is threatened by political and social forces, providing integral operational and financial support.
How to Join
To join the Coalition, you must complete an application, available here, which will then undergo an internal review. You will be notified of your membership status shortly thereafter. For inquiries, please email: email@example.com