The Addison Road Community Centre – Living Museum is located in Marrickville, in the heart of Sydney’s Inner West, on the land of the Gadigal people of the Eora nation. The site – for 60 years an Army Depot – has been a community centre since 1976, and is home to more than 20 community organisations and artists, galleries, a theatre, radio station, park and organic gardens. The centre is cared for and managed by the Addison Road Community Centre Organisation (ARCCO) and offers affordable spaces for NGOs, community groups and artists. It also acts as a base for its own community development programs in arts, culture, environment, social justice and heritage, and serves as a meeting place for the community.
The Addison Road Community Centre is home to the Living Museum, which is an ongoing project that explores the history of this dynamic and culturally diverse site. Home to the Gadigal people for over 40,000 years, this land was used as a market garden in the mid-nineteenth century; an Army Depot from 1916; and became the community centre in 1976, during the birth of multicultural Australia. Elements of the Living Museum include the gathering of oral histories, images and artifacts; community events that reveal various aspects of this history; and interpretive works such as the Heritage Trail and Honour Roll for Peace.